Sunday 17 November 2013

The Review - Macbeth

So on Monday night, Luke and I went to the Lighthouse Cinema in Petone to see a screening of the National Theatre's performance of Macbeth. (When I say "National Theatre", I mean the London one). Starring Kenneth Branagh, it was a truly electrifying experience.

Luke and I have seen a few filmed versions of live shows at cinemas: 25th Anniversary Concert of Phantom of the Opera; 25th Anniversary Concert of Les Miserables; The Importance of Being Earnest, but this was our first Shakespeare. I wouldn't say I am the biggest Shakespeare fan, and to be completely honest I find it quite difficult to just pick up and read. But there is something that utterly transports you about watching Shakespeare done live (and done well, I might add).

Furthermore, it is such a neat thing that they are now filming these truly amazing performances so everyone can have a chance to see them (and for a fraction of the cost). Sure, you don't get the same atmosphere, but you do get the best seat in the house. The camera work is always well done, and for most of us it's the only chance we will get to see some of the best actors and actresses in the world performing live on stage.

As a further bonus, I love how many boutique cinemas Wellington has and the fact that they offer such a wide variety of films. From the Lighthouse, to the Penthouse, to the Embassy, to the Roxy, to the Paramount (and I'm sure there are even more). It's really wonderful. I have to say I think I like the Lighthouse the best. (Not just because it's the closest to our home, but because it's such an intimate environment. The theatre is set up so everyone gets cinema seats that are similar to a 2-seater couch. Love it!)

Anyway, I digress. Macbeth was amazing. If you get the opportunity to see it for yourself, go! Kenneth Branagh is a renowned Shakespearean actor, but before this he hadn't done the Bard for almost 12 years. As far as I can tell, though, he has lost nothing. Alex Kingston as Lady Macbeth offers an equally powerful perfomance. They are both so raw in their parts that it makes you realise Macbeth at least was just a normal person before he was corrupted by his wife and evil desires for power.

Interestingly enough, the play is performed in a church in Manchester. This again highlights the moral dilemmas that the characters are going through, and emphasises the battle between good and evil. And I challenge you to find three creepier witches. Oh my goodness, they were creepy! Although I didn't warm to Macduff at first, the way he plays the scene where he discovers that his wife and children have been killed will stay with you for the rest of your life.

Anyway, here are some photos from the show:







Until next time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment