Sunday 30 October 2011

The Verse: Mark 10:43-45

Mark 10:43-45"...whoever desires to become great among you shall be your servant.  And whoever of you desires to be first shall be slave of all. For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many.”

These words from Jesus are so radically different from today's attitude of "I need to love myself first" and "my happiness is the most important thing in the world."

The sermon we heard on Sunday at Church was by a guess speaker, Mark Walshe. His message was based on these verses and really highlighted that Christians are called servants. The term servant describes what our actions should be; serving. Furthermore we don't get to choose who we serve, it should be everyone.

The passage also refers to us as slaves which describes our position in relation to God. We are to be bond servants to our Lord.

To paraphrase Sunday's sermon: It is true that the cross has freed us from the penalty of sin and the condemnation of the law but we have also lost some of our freedom in the cross. We have lost the right to choose for ourselves. The life we now live is bound up in Christ and it is He who is Lord over us.

Galatians 2:20
"The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who love me and gave Himself for me."

However in saying this I can think of no other Master I would prefer to have. Looking at the last verse in the passage, Jesus Christ is our ultimate example of what it means to be servant.


For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many.

What an awesome Saviour we have - both Servant and King.



No comments:

Post a Comment