Tuesday 16 October 2012

The Review - The Sapphires

I like to support Australian films. Let me rephrase that: I like to support good Australian films. So on Saturday night Luke and I forked out $30 or so to see The Sapphires.


The Sapphires is a drama/comedy based on a 2004 stage play of the same name. The film is inspired by the true story of four Aboriginal women who form a singing group and travel to Vietnam in 1968 to perform for the troops.

I found the movie very entertaining, with all the actors putting in a lot of heart and soul. I laughed and I cried. The characters are very well done, and the music is brilliant; it's just good entertainment. I must admit that I also enjoyed Chris O'Dowd's presence on screen, since I'm a bit of an IT Crowd fan. He was kind of playing the exact same character as in that show, just more sincere and heartfelt at points. Jessica Mauboy has an amazing voice but the other girls can hold their own too. Oh, and the costuming. Man, late 1960s clothing, way fun! Loved the colours. 

However, what I appreciated most about this film was the fact that it has a widespread appeal but also deals with Aboriginal culture in a respectful and sensitive way. The movie exposes audiences to atrocities such as the Stolen Generation but without completely focusing on this aspect.








Here's the trailer for your viewing enjoyment:


Until next time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment