Saturday 12 November 2011

The Outing - Dancing at the RSA

Last Sunday we attended the monthy Swing Dancing gig at the Johnsonville RSA (Returned Servicemen's League). On the first Sunday of every month, from 6-8pm, the amazing Liberty Swing Band plays there, and there's nothing quite like dancing to a live band. The dance floor is shared by the Rock'n'Rollers and Swing dancers. Entry is free, and drinks are cheap, so if you feel inclined you should definitely come along!

 




The Liberty Swing Band is an 18-piece Dance Band modeled on the classic format of the bands of Glenn Miller, Count Basie, Duke Ellington and the many other bands of the Big Band Era.



Although there wasn't a huge turnout this time as compared  to other times we've been, it had the added bonus of extra dance floor for those more extravagant moves ;)



I was asked to dance by a gentleman who is a master of most dances under the sun. I have to admit I was a bit nervous (hence why in the picture I'm looking at my feet!). However, he was a very gracious dancer and taught me a bit of "West Coast Swing."

For those of you who love 1940's music, Luke's mum just got me onto the most wonderful radio station: The Uk 1940s Radio Station. It is an internet based station, so you can listen to it online! Fancy that, listening to old 1940's songs through the internet! Luke and I have been enjoying it all afternoon, and they even have original ads from the 40's! Perfect!


Until next time keep dancing! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment