Friday 25 November 2011

The Review - April Smith and the Great Picture Show

So I thought it was about time that I reviewed something on here that wasn't a movie or theatrical show. I decided I'd share a musical discovery with you, so here we go:



The band is called April Smith and the Great Picture Show and their album is called "Songs For A Sinking Ship." I discovered them through the wonderful world of iTunes, probably through a recommendation from a band of a band of a band that I like - you know how it goes. Anyway, I have to admit that I haven't downloaded all their songs, as I find some catchier than others; but that's always the way, isn't it? I must admit that is something I really love about iTunes: the fact that you can listen to a sample, and choose to download the whole album or just one song.

source

Anyway, I have recently discovered that there are two things I really love in songs: 1) clapping (don't ask me why, but it just puts me in a good mood); 2) the kazoo. I seriously feel this is an underrated instrument. I also love that Bill Bailey got his kazoo confiscated at New Zealand customs because they thought it was some kind of bong. So yeah, bring back the kazoo I say!
Thus, when I heard the song "Colours" I immediately fell in love. Not only does it have clapping and the kazoo, but also a cow bell! In a word: awesome!

source

Anyway, April Smith and her band combine indie pop, folk rock and swing. They cite a wide range of influences, from The Beatles and Queen to Edgar Allan Poe and Wes Anderson. Their style has been described as "spaghetti burlesque" and "melodramatic pop", but if you're anything like me I have no idea what these terms mean - all I know is that quite a few of their songs are catchy and they sound good to my ear. April has an amazing voice, both strong and incredibly graceful. The songs are fun and the lyrics are so clever.

Favourite songs are: Colors, Movie Loves A Screen, Can't Say No, Stop Wondering, Terrible Things. However, I will probably end up downloading their entire album. But don't take my word for it, have a listen for yourself: the song below is Colours  :)


 Enjoy! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment