Tuesday 8 November 2011

The Verse: Ezekiel 18

A long, long time ago I started doing a "read the Bible in a year" plan. I'm not going to mention what year I originally started it in, because it's way too embarrassing, but the important thing is that I've persisted. Plus I've discovered that although it's important to constantly read the Scriptures, when I work off a plan I tend to end up treating it as though it is "homework" rather than a sacred time spent with God where He uses His Word to speak to me, challenge me, grow me and make me more like His Son, Jesus Christ.

So I am currently making my way through the book of Ezekiel. It's a fascinating book, full of descriptions of Israel's and Judah's disobedience in the face of all the kindness that God had shown them. The other morning I was reading chapter 18 and it was such a powerful chapter that I felt compelled to share it with you. I won't write down the whole chapter here, so I encourage you to read it for yourself.

The chapter describes one of the fundamental principles of Scripture, namely that judgement is according to individual faith and conduct, and righteousness and/or wickedness is not inherited from past generations or passed on to future generations.

Ezekiel 18:20 The one who sins is the one who will die. The child will not share the guilt of the parent, nor will the parent share the guilt of the child. The righteousness of the righteous will be credited to them, and the wickedness of the wicked will be charged against them.

The passage then goes on to speak about what happens to the wicked people who turn from their sin and live righteously.


None of the offenses they have committed will be remembered against them. Because of the righteous things they have done, they will live. (verse 22)


I think it was the next verse that really struck me.

Do I take any pleasure in the death of the wicked? declares the Sovereign LORD. Rather, am I not pleased when they turn from their ways and live? (verse 23)

God's rhetorical questions highlight the fact that he takes NO pleasure in judging the wicked, and desperately wants them to turn from their evil ways and repent.

The passage then continues to speak on what happens to a righteous man who becomes wicked.

None of the righteous things that person has done will be remembered. Because of the unfaithfulness they are guilty of and because of the sins they have committed, they will die. (verse 24)

I think it's important to note at this point that it is not referring to the Christian who stumbles, or that every time we sin we lose our salvation. This is more a matter of the heart. It refers to someone that completely rejects God and the gospel, hardens their heart towards salvation and instead pursues a life of wickedness.

The last section of the passage I really believe encapsulates God's heart for Israel as well as for each and every one of us, in His desperation for us to turn to Him.

 Ezekiel 18:30-32: 

Therefore, you Israelites, I will judge each of you according to your own ways, declares the Sovereign LORD. Repent! Turn away from all your offenses; then sin will not be your downfall. 31 Rid yourselves of all the offenses you have committed, and get a new heart and a new spirit. Why will you die, people of Israel? 32 For I take no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Sovereign LORD. Repent and live! 

And God's message is still the same. Repent, turn from your sin. Put your trust in the Lord Jesus Christ, who took your punishment and judgement for sin, so that you won't have to perish eternally. Instead you can be righteous before God, and you will live, and live eternally!


Don't spend another moment without being right with God.

Now is the day of salvation!
(2 Corinthians 2:6)



No comments:

Post a Comment